Booking created: 28/10/2019 14:22
Core Component and Applied Core Assessment: An introduction
19/11/2019 13:00 – 14:00 – AG225 (Alison Gingell)
As part of the new CU Assessment regulations, you have opportunity to implement both Core Component (CCA) and Applied Core (ACA) assessment. In this one-hour workshop, we will explore the many opportunities but also questions that you may have around CCA and ACA and focus on:
- Developing a shared understanding of the key assessment changes known as CCA and ACA.
- Considering examples of module descriptors in Kuali, already showing implementation of CCA and ACA.
- Starting to plan your own approach in implementing CCA and ACA in your practice.
Personal Notes from Event
Separation of credits from Teaching and Assessment
Strategic use of core & applied core assessment components can;
- Support student learning
- Reduce assessment loading and enhance food students
- Assesses knowledge, skills and competencies on a pass/fail basis.
- Must be defined in a module descriptor and course specification.
- Minimum of Two attempts at core components
Applied Core Assessment
- Normal Coursework as Mode C
- Course-Based Assessment
- Cross module assessment used to tie learning across a semester
- Only one semester. Normal resit opportunity
Highly insightful workshop regarding the changes in CU academic regulations to support core component assessment allowing for students to have particular competencies addressed directly during the module. This has informed the assessment redesign to include a core competency so that we can be certain of a student capability in a particular subject area. This workshop has also given me greater insight as to applied core’s application within the course as a whole and has directly impacted the assessment design in a course I am currently designing with an industry partner.